However, a friend shared that today was National Peanut Butter Day, and sent me to this link: http://www.punchbowl.com/holidays/national-peanut-butter-day
According to this site, today is not only National Peanut Butter Day, but also National Compliment Day and Belly Laugh Day. I'm glad we have a day to honor belly laughs, even if it is unnecessary.
In other news, today kicked off my last semester as an undergrad. I only had one class, so exactly how the semester will go remains to be seen. However, this was by far the largest linguistics class I've ever been in. We had almost 30 people! I'm so happy with the way the linguistics program here has been flourishing. There's a small part of me that wishes I were just starting my undergrad. Linguistics is such a broad and interesting subject. I'm just waiting for the day when it makes it into high schools across America. North Carolina is leading the way in that area, with a dialect awareness program for 8th graders taught as a social studies unit. See link here: http://www.ncsu.edu/linguistics/research_dialecteducation.php
If belly laughs and compliments need a day of the year to remind us of them, that's gotta be a problem in some way.
ReplyDeleteI think of it more as a day to appreciate belly laughs and the giving of compliments, just as Thanksgiving is a day to appreciate all we have been given, and to give thanks.
ReplyDelete