I know what you're thinking. No, I'm not referencing the country song. (Oh, you weren't thinking that?)
So, I'm not a fan of the GRE. Let's just leave it at that.
I've gotten a couple jobs tutoring in the past month or so. With mid-term grades a few people realized they weren't doing as well as they had hoped. I really enjoy tutoring. Not only is it something that comes as naturally to me as tying my shoes, but it's something I really enjoy, as opposed to tying my shoes, which evokes no particular feeling. One of the kids that I tutor was failing the class when we first started working together, and she made a B on the last test!! It was pretty exciting, and it's always rewarding to feel like I've helped someone. Plus I'm an 'official' teacher-recommended tutor, so I get some money. Not that it's enough to support a lifestyle, but it's enough to make it worth the time. And if you make money doing something you love, you must be doing something right, right? I certainly think so. And it basically confirms my belief that no matter what I end up doing, I'll be teaching in some capacity. At this point I feel like it's unavoidable. I'm okay with that.
I feel like this semester is running away from me and I'm desperately trying to catch up. One of those panting runs where you keep grasping at the thing in front of you in hopes that it will magically be within your grasp, even though you're obviously way too far away. It should not be the end of October. It was just the beginning of October. I don't understand.
At the same time, I'm finally starting to make some headway on my thesis, which is really exciting after all the roadblocks I encountered. And my advisor said last week that he was happy with my progress, so that's good, right?
A friend tried to encourage me today by saying, "Hey, at least there's only five weeks of the semester left. Five weeks. You can make it." Honestly, that just freaked me out worse than before. BUT it is only five weeks, and then I'll be able to slow down (a.k.a. come to a pleasant but screeching halt) and take things easy for a while. Hopefully from now until graduation. Wouldn't that be nice?
Short little Alydia story before I let you go: The other day we went back to my parent's house. My brother had been home sick that day, and I explained to Alydia as we came in that he was at the house, but not feeling well. As we met him at the top of the stairs, Alydia said, "Andrew, I'm sorry you're not feeling well" and gave him a big hug around the legs. It was completely adorable and fully unprompted. Must be doing something right, right?
Must be doing something right.
ReplyDeleteActually, it kind of sounds like you must be doing somethingS right.