Last week I tried my very first eggplant parmesan. I wasn't a big vegetable person until recently. Actually, it's more like I wouldn't really eat vegetables at all (except potatoes) until the past couple years. I know it's weird. Point being, eggplant parmesan always sounded like just about the worst thing ever.
I was definitely wrong on that one.
My uncle, an amazing cook, made eggplant parmesan in honor of my visit to his house. This is one of only three or four meals he's prepared that I've eaten, and all of them have been something I never thought I would try. In May when he visited my parent's house, he made meatball soup. The meatballs were stuffed with raisins, and the soup with veggies. Soup had also been on my "do not eat" list (it was a pretty substantial list!), but I decided I would gag some down out of respect for my uncle.
It was DELICIOUS.
As was the eggplant parmesan last Sunday, which was made with raw eggplant, sauce, herbs, and lots of cheese, and was accompanied by spaghetti with tomato sauce and a salad.
I've decided I'll try just about anything my uncle prepares.
Here is a recipe that most closely resembles what I think was in my uncle's dish. He loves preparing meals completely by himself, and notoriously never shares his recipes, so neither you nor I will be getting the actual recipe. But I do want to try my hand at it... especially if I can manipulate a recipe to make it small enough to not leave me with a week's worth of leftovers.
The visit as a whole was perfect. I really enjoyed spending time with my aunt, uncle and cousins, as we chatted, ate, and enjoyed a nice thunderstorm on the back porch.
No comments:
Post a Comment