1.7.10

10 Things

Here's my list of things I *think* I'm going to miss about Germany. A couple weeks after I get back I'll make a list of things I *actually* miss and we can compare. These aren't necessarily in order.

1. You can wear whatever you want to, as long as you do it intentionally
With that I mean: everyone has their own style, but everyone obviously tried to look that way. You'll never see someone who simply rolled out of bed, put on jeans and a T-shirt, and walked out the door.
2. Pretzel rolls
You guys have NO idea! I found a recipe online and I'm determined to learn how to make them. They're like softpretzels, but with even more soft
3. Speaking German
I know, I know. Duh. But it's getting easier for me to express myself in German than in English half the time, and I don't like the idea of losing that. Also, there are words in German that you can't translate, and that's always hard. Of course, the same applies to some English words. Try finding a German word for "awkward". The closest thing the have is "embarrassing".
4. Funny ways that English has made it into German
Those of you that have never been to a Public Viewing --they have beer! 'Public Viewing' is the German term for a place where a screen has been set up to watch soccer games, and there's always beer being sold.
5. Pfand and Recycling
I love how people are expected to recycle here and how easy it is --there are recycling bins everywhere! They even have recycling bins for clothes and shoes, which makes me really happy. Those aren't quite as frequent; there are only two within walking distance of me as opposed to the four sets of recycling bins for glass/cardboard/etc. Pfand is an extra amount of money (ranging from 10 to 50 cents) that you pay when you buy a drink in a plastic or glass bottle, but if you bring the bottle back you get the money back. Basically, it costs you money not to recycle. Take notes, America.
6. Five a.m. sunrises
It feels amazing waking up at 6:30 or 7:00 with sun streaming into your room. The winters are miserable, but summer is great
7. The windows
I think I've already explained these, but they either crack open at the top so as not to let rain in or they open all the way. They're not only practical, but easy to use and fun. Oh, and there are also doors that work like this. How cool?!
8. School Parties
Every school/department has its own party, and they're good parties and lots of fun. Plus it's a good way to promote the schools. Tonight is a Geo party --they seem to have the best parties
9. Friends
You're either friends with someone or you're not. There's not so much of the waving to everyone you know simply because you know them. And when you are friends with someone (at least between girls) you call them 'dear' and everyone does the stereotypical "french" kisses thing. It's pleasant.
10. Food culture
It's not the healthiest thing in the world, by any means, but I'm going to miss the potato pancakes and the bratwursts and how the cafeteria food is actually good. I'm going to miss how everyone has a basic knowledge of herbs and can cook pretty well. And Döners will be missed.

The plan is to also post things I'm really missing and things I don't think I'll miss. Those will come later.

Addendum: I officially have a move-out day... I'm not sure how I feel about this.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, did you just say something about German fashion being something you'll miss? Come on, Devon. I expected more.
    5,6, and 8, however, I'm totally with you on.
    p.s., I've made pretzel rolls and they rock. We can practice together. And good news- Oxford now has a Portugese bakery that has all freshly-baked European goodies. Yeah, get excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said I'll miss how everyone actually does their fashion intentionally. The actual fashion styles are not going to be missed at all.

    And yes to pretzel rolls and Portugese bakeries!

    ReplyDelete