1.11.09

Windows

May I just take a moment to say how much I love German windows? They're fabulous, really. Simply ingenious, and I have a hard time understanding why they haven't caught on in the United States. Maybe there's some big flaw with them that I have yet to discover, but let me, for a moment, describe to you these windows in all their fabulousness.
The windows are locked by a handle that is pointed down. By rotating the handle to the side, the window is free to open to the side, exposing the beauty and fresh air of the great outdoors. The window can here be flung open wide to allow for a cool breeze or whatever else you desire. Should you, however, want to open the window only enough to get a bit of fresh air, there is yet another setting for you. Simply close the window and twist the handle one more rotation towards the top. In this setting, the top of the window will lean back into the room slightly. This allows for ventilation of a slighter measure, is safer if you're living in a sketchy part of downtown or looking out to a back alley, and you can even open the window during rain without allowing said rain into your room (unless it's some of that crazy rain that falls up). Why hasn't this been brought to America? Don't know. Wake up, America! Fabulous idea right here waiting for you!

0018.JPG.jpg
The third window from the left is open at the top. 

Something must also be said for the German window shades. Sadly, I do not have these in my room, but I did last year when I visited, and know of their true wonder. The blinds, while looking quite intimidating from the outside, have the advantage of blocking out all known light. I'm not sure even direct floodlights could penetrate this shield of darkness. These shades are perfect for that annoying streetlamp outside your window or for taking an afternoon nap.


0003.JPG.jpg
Window shades of death

No comments:

Post a Comment