The other bugs I picked up at Samford were ants. They invaded my car Friday night, and they're still there. It's odd, though. I've been killing them 1 or 2 at a time. It seems like every time I get in my car there are a few more. However, there's been no teeming mass and they haven't been in any of the random food wrappers strewn about my car. They're running along the sideboard every time I open the back door, and they were coming through the vents (though they've stopped that now). They aren't in the trunk, at least as far as I could tell this morning, and they aren't in the floorboards. They're just along the seams of the car.
Ants seem to be a big problem at Samford, along with huge cockroaches and dangerous snakes in the parking lot. Last year my boyfriend left his car parked during a rainy weekend, and on Monday when he went to drive it his car was absolutely infested with ants. They had built a nest under the hood of his car! They were crawling all over his seat and floor and through all the vents. So I'm checking under the hood of my car tonight.
Don't let these creepy critters discourage you from visiting, though. The campus is beautiful, and the people are amazing! They've got their own Grove-esque section (for all you Ole Miss readers) on campus called 'the Quad' that's just as beautiful, but with a few less trees; it's not uncommon to see students sprawled out on blankets taking a break between classes. The buildings, too, are exhibits of Samford's beauty, and the same architect was hired to build them all, giving it a very quaint and unified feel.
Packing is progressing at a slightly elevated speed as I have reached 3 weeks from departure. There are a million last-minute things I need to do, and it seems like I'm constantly thinking of something else. Thus is the way with packing...especially with packing for a 3-yr.-old.
I've now begun the painful task of trying to decide and explain to my daughter why only some of her toys can come to Germany and why the rest have to stay. She's handling it well, but I feel awful telling her she can only bring so many books or that some of her blocks have to stay.
We did go clothes shopping today, though, which brightened both her spirits and mine. She picked out a cute dress and some tights for the cold weather in Germany. We also spotted some adorable little bowls and cups in the toddler section for just $2.50 apiece, so now we have new dishes for a tea party when we arrive in Germany.
Speaking of, my daughter's patience and overall good nature amazes me. I bet you anything I wasn't that well-tempered when I was a child. Nor have I ever seen a child like her. Granted, she has her moments that drive me up the wall and she can be a bit impatient and a bit of a brat. She's nowhere near perfect, but I do believe I caught a break somewhere. I'm incredibly lucky.
As far as actually moving to Germany --people keep asking if I'm nervous. I'm not. Not really.
I'm sad about leaving all the people and places that I love, but I know that Germany is going to present its own array of beautiful people, wonderful places, and exciting adventures. I'm ready to go! 20 days...
No comments:
Post a Comment